Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Moon is Made of Sugar!!!

On Friday the students showed me what they had learned about the phases of the moon by constructing the phases with Oreo cookies.  A few children had more than one "new moon" because they were unable to resist eating the sugar until all the phases were complete!  Starting at the "9" position if this were a clock are the phases:
  • New Moon
  • Waxing Crescent (Think: getting bigger, shinier)
  • First Quarter
  • Waxing Gibbous
  • Full Moon
  • Waning Gibbous
  • Last Quarter
  • Waning Cresent
  • and back to the New Moon
About two thirds of the class could tell me ALL the phases, INCLUDING the "waxing" and "waning" part.  We are really focusing on VOCABULARY.

You should be just about finished with the Moon Journals.  Please be sure to complete and send in by next Thursday.    If your child has already completed it, please send it in to class.  Most of the children told me they saw the moon in the morning sky yesterday!  Whoo hoo!  Thank you for helping your child with this project.  While I was very happy that our unit on space began during a full moon (nice of it to cooperate!), I am even happier that the full moon has passed!  There's something about a full moon and children.... I have always heard that during a full moon the number of births increased, as did the number of crimes.  I have believed that theory since I started teaching and experienced increased activity with children during a full moon.  It just so happens that my son had a motorcycle accident on Thursday afternoon (a deer ran in front of his bike and he tried to avoid it) and while in the emergency room, I asked the ER nurse if there was any truth to the full moon theory and hospitals.  She more or less confirmed it because she said Wednesday night had been CRAZY!  That was proof enough for me.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!